I seem capable of only one life at a time. Be it "real life"--the (not so) mundane physical world I live in--in the blogosphere or whatever, I can only be mentally interested and involved in one at a time. Hence, when I have an active World of Warcraft account, well, that's where you'll find me. Pretty much all the time. (I've gotten fairly good at eating pizza with one hand while mousing and hitting hotkeys with the other.)
Similar things happened when I was playing Matrix Online; though I haven't played that in over six months. No, Makal got me into WoW, which in a way is much worse because now I find that so many of my real life friends play WoW too. So we can log in with not only the excuses of wanting to level up and farm items to earn gold for our mounts, but maintaining our social network by talking and even playing with friends. We even *expanded* our social network via WoW! Now I know people in Australia and Chicago and SomeOtherPlaces that I would never have met without online gaming. And ya know what? I'm not a social reject or recluse. And for those of you who might've missed it, I'm also a fully-fledged girl (a fairly attractive one) and even successful business owner. I'm just sayin'; it is possible.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about all this time being spent gaming as of late. :) No, not at all. I really like WoW and it's tons of fun. In fact, the only reason I'm here right now typing this is because the servers are down for an update; if it wasn't for that I'd still be in there, fighting through an instance or questing or what-have-you. Makal playes a female Orc shaman and I a female Orc hunter; we kinda figure our two characters are lovers. Well, secret lovers, since Blizzard (the game's developer) is apparently against same-sex marriage.
Which reminds me... our guild leaders are against anything remotely related to "adult" or "unneccessary" themes in the guild chat channel. Even today during a long and silly conversation, when someone said "Vin Diesel Chuck Norris tears sex" (yes, that is exactly what was typed) we all got reprimanded for spamming useless talk and bringing up mature content. I swear the leader said something like "I know you guys may be having fun but this is a silly conversation and we need to mind the guild's code of conduct. :P Because, yaknow, the 13 year old playing in our guild will have *never* heard the word "sex" before, and will definitely not want to participate in silly conversations. And since it is a *video game*, he/she/it will of course want to try whatever we "more mature" people (ha!) talk about, as well as anything that happens in-game that seems immitable in real life. ... Uh huh. Nevermind the whole game is based on the concept of different races *killing eachother*. We must keep mature commentary out of our guild chats; it's the only way that 13 year old will be saved! ;)
Anywho, I'm obviously in a fairly silly mood, as it is late and I am tired and full of teriyaki and rice. We might head to bed soon; might not. Our schedule's all ascew from staying up late to game with friends in different time zones (k, and because it's addicting!) so who knows when our tired bodies will force us into bed. But lord knows that as soon as I wake up tomorrow, I'll be wanting to check the Auction House for that last piece of my Insignia armor set...
*You may have noticed that a fair bit of this post is involving references to in-game things, many of which you might not understand. Words like "horde", "Insignia armor", or "Vin Diesel". If that is the case, don't panic(!) and feel free to comment requesting any translations needed. Strength and Honor!
Tags:world of warcraft, online gaming, mmorpg, mmog, horde, orc, same-sex marriage, matrix online, chuck norris, vin diesel
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator
Tuesday, February 7
For the Horde!*
Posted by
M. Here
at
2:15 AM

No comments:
Post a Comment