There is one aspect of the modeling world that people always assume, and that many question me about when they learn of my modeling. Is the modeling industry really as corrupt and catty as it seems? In short, yes. In long, hell yes, but there are also some amazing gems of personalities and talents to be found.
I've been modeling for a year, so I guess being the victim of a malicious, model-and-photographer spread rumor was inevitable. Makal says it's a sign of popularity; that people are jealous of a model's success and can't resist the opportunity to take her down a peg. And maybe sometimes it works. I'll admit I was a bit distressed for, oh, maybe 30 minutes after finding out. But I am not an irrational, egotistical model; most of my friends say I am the most rational person they know. So learning that someone--or rather, a group of people--have been trying to blindly attack me via this method strikes me as more than a little absurd.
Now, I won't go into details, but here's the gist: (supposedly) I've been bad-mouthing another local model because I think she's trying to steal my boyfriend. Now, let's think about this for a second.
Trying to steal my boyfriend.
This... this honestly makes me laugh a little. Makal is even a little flattered that someone thought to include him in this rumor. See, the thing is, it's pretty much impossible to steal my boyfriend. If a chick hits on him, I hear about it that evening, and vise versa. We have a fairly open relationship and are very focused on keeping open communication as well (a must, really). So if there was a person trying to "steal" Makal, they would have to be making persistent advances... and I would know. Besides, I tell him all the time that I'd love for him to find some young sweet thing to tickle and go bicycling with and whatnot (activities I'm none too keen on). And I mean it. See what I mean about this being impossible, and thus quite funny to me?
Now, when I first heard about this, my immediate response was sadness, frustration, and anger. Sadness that someone would dare spread lies about me, frustration that the modeling industry really is that shallow, and anger that someone would dare spread lies about me. I wasn't really sure I should blog about it in a public space, because I wasn't sure it was the sort of thing that should be made public. But hell, what do I have to fear? It's not true, that's why it's called a rumor.
So, now I know, and knowledge is power. :) Worse comes to pass, and a small group of NW-local photographers and models will think I am a catty bitch. To that I say: good thing I have no plans to stay local. As it is I try to avoid working with people who suffer from sheep syndrome, so no loss there. And here's the tricky thing about rumors: they're like a game of telephone. One person says something to someone else, the message gets passed on, garbled, rewritten, as it moves from mouth to ear to mouth to ear.
One person.
Apparently, someone has it out for me. Isn't it cute? I have an enemy! ^_^ Wow, that must really mean I've made it, eh? I thought things had been going well lately, but this just confirms it for me. Although frankly, I would have liked something a little more colourful, with a real sense of scandal to it. Maybe that I was stealing discontinued M.A.C. eyeshadow pots from my makeup artist, or that I'm actually a victim of syphilis and don't warn photographers that they'll have to PhotoShop my nose back on. But another model trying to steal my boyfriend? So cliche. Besides, I play my cards right, and that could be a recipe for serious win. Better luck next time.

No comments:
Post a Comment