Strombergast was the first computer that was "mine". I ordered him from Dell in 2004, because they can do payments and I sure as hell didn't have $1,400 on me at the time. Plus they do custom orders, and I wanted to get something beyond a standard build. In case you haven't figured it out by now, I didn't know as much about computer technology then as I do now. Because if I did, I would have known not to order from Dell. Nonetheless...
Strom was a solid workhorse of a machine. He was a tank. His case was heavy, for a mid-size tower. At this point I don't remember much of the specs. 80Gb hard drive, an ATI Radeon X300-series graphics card, a gig of RAM. Not the hottest machine by any means, but for my basic needs it worked well. Did some casual gaming, did some design, spent a lot of time blogging. Spent a lot of time naked with it, too, because that was my work back then. What am I saying? I spent a lot of time naked with it period, because I am just naked a lot.
As time passed, the wear I--and others--had put on the machine was beginning to show. I had a room mate spill some Fruit Punch soda on the keyboard, and though he tried to clean it up best he could, I still noticed the sticky liquid sloshing out. A few months later, a different roommate spilled a glass of fruit juice on the desk and, knowing I would not react well, did not tell me. But I figured it out when the keyboard and monitor were both glued to the desk by the dried sugary residue, and all the plugs were stuck in my surge protector for the same reason.
The computer moved out of the public space and into my bedroom after that, but they still used it without my permission when I was away. Who knows what icky viruses they downloaded on it. *shudder*
Then in more recent years, I moved in with Makal and he introduced me to World of Warcraft. WoW was a little laggy on it (okay, a LOT laggy, so we doubled the RAM from the original 512Mb to 1Gb) but it worked. I dealt with it. At one point I discovered that one of our cats had been spraying the back of the case... This is something I shall not describe in detail. You do not want to know the details. Suffice it to say, Strom was not having the best time.
Then the death of the monitor; after enlisting an electronics friend to help me fix it, he pointed out signs that the monitor was a refurbished model and had already been repaired for this very issue. Funny, I thought, since I had ordered a new model. I then began to wonder how many other "new" parts had Dell sold me (at full price) that were in fact refurbished. Jerks. So, unable to really do anything productive with the box, we moved it and a set of speakers into the bedroom to serve as a music station. This worked really well with the Remote app on iPhones, because then there wasn't much need for a monitor at all. A few months later the power supply blew. And I mean, wow, there was ash inside the case. Really crazy. It was, essentially, the end of Strom.
So, here we are. Strombergast has been a champ, and was my best friend through many an emotial trial. I first talked to Makal on this computer (okay, "chatted with"). I edited the first naked photos of myself to be posted on the Internet, on this computer. I learned about things like Tor and file sharing and MMORPGs. And we had a good time, Strom and I.
But now it's time to move on.
Goodbye, dear Strombergast, Ultimate Killing Machine. You were my first computer love and you shall live on in my heart (also, I'm pulling your HD and anything else useful to stick in other boxes).
And in a few days, I'll introduce you to Cecilia. Once I've built her, of course.
Wednesday, February 25
Transitions in Technology, Stage 1: Letting Go
Posted by
M. Here
at
10:46 AM
Labels: computers, geek, internet, technology

7 comments:
Hey Merrick, wandering through google's webmaster tools reminded me it had been a while since I last saw stuff from your RSS. Just dropping by, hope stuff is awesome on your end. Happy spring!
DUDE. It's so cute that we're both letting go of our first oldie-but-goodie computers and moving on to better things! [high five]
sometimes you have to know when to let go in every relationship... even if it's your first computer :)
I can't imagine what it was like to play WOW on that thing. Must have been painful.
Hello. And Bye.
Using an escort service providing agency's website, you can now book your girl after you choose her. Also, you can make the payment against her using the web itself.
Also, Escort girls New York are now available for incall and outcall services for almost all the New York locations.
Payment for your girl can be done online instantly. So, you should not have any sort of issue regarding anything.
The services provided by Bijou escorts are top notch. New York escort service are also offered to various clients.Bijou available are top class escorts, and you will soon forget about normal things in life and enter the world of love and fantasy. You must remember that using personal escort service is not like using normal intimate service and these are not just simple girls that you are dealing with. These are highly trained and qualified escort personnel's that are there to rejuvenate you dull and boring life. You will be surprised to find out that some of these girls are very well educated.
[url=http://bijouescorts.com]Queen Escort[/url] In the last few years, the entire US industry has seen a drastic change - change that has represented more of growth. Girls who are hospitable and who have flair to serve people with the best fun services have been recruited by the New York escort agencies thus satiating every pleasure need of clients. With online presence of the New York agencies, it's been extremely easy for people like you to browse through the listed girls' profiles so as to find out which girl would be able to serve you better. When it comes to enjoying a session with a New York escort girl, a lot of things may come to your mind. Her physical beauty, area of specialization, capability of fulfilling fetishes, friendliness all may play a major role in letting you choose our girl accordingly. Most of the New York escorts agencies feature full information of girls' physical attributes, their hair color, sexual orientation, area of services and even of pricings. So, it's just a completely easy affair to know more about them on their website itself.
Escort fun can be real fun for you if you believe in going wild. And when you go wild in New York, there is no one to stop you from doing it. Being one of the leading escort services providers and the safest place on earth to be, New York boasts of featuring some of the most popular escort girls. These girls are very carefully chosen from different global locations and they are trained and groomed in such a manner that they can effortlessly satisfy all types of clients- from submissive to highly demanding. By going for a safe and refreshing New York escorts session, you can again feel being on top of the world! Coming out of the worldly tensions and monotony is just possible with the gracious presence of the New York escort services girls.
http://bijouescorts.com These New York escorts are infact, a huge fascination for the men clientele. However, there are also an assortment of pleasant bisexuals who are compatible for women seeking physical comfort and satisfaction. The agencies providing escort ladies have girls in their gallery from all races of life. New York escorts have been recognized popularly for their astonishing ability to indulge intensely with their clients and take them to the realm of Pleasure.
As the French players celebrated the victory at the end of the game, Guti said that Madrid hadn’t played well, not as it used to. [url=http://www.pulsebet.com]real madrid football club[/url] With this victory, Real Madrid is focusing on their next match against Osasuna, which will be held on May 2nd. During their last match on January 3rd, neither of the two could obtain the victory; the game ended 0-0. Now, this game will be key for both squads; the Whites would be closer to surpassing Barça to obtain the La Liga title, which they haven’t won in two seasons. On the other hand, Osasuna, which tied their last game against Athletic Bilbao, are trying to add a triumph and surpass Espanyol in the 11th place of the standings. If Osasuna end in 11th or 10th place this season, it will be the best position they have achieve in four seasons.
The Meringues beat a defensively weak Espanyol, knowing when to accelerate and when to pause in their game. Xabi Alonso, Barn and Guti made the team’s game plan easier with their great work in midfield. [url=http://www.pulsebet.com]cristiano ronaldo[/url] Real Madrid’s first goal came early, during the second minute of the game, as Cristiano Ronaldo turned on the halfway line brilliantly, escaping the attention of marker Angel Lopez. He was unstoppable as he ran to the penalty area, dodging two defenders before kicking a low shot 20 yards to pass Diego Lopez.
Great help, I am new to this site, but learn a lot. Auto insurance is a funny thing. Each state has different rules and regulations on how auto insurance coverage should work. Despite all these laws and regulations, consumers have power over their coverage. Here are three items that your auto insurance agent won’t tell you when you sign the dotted line: 1. Rates are like fads, they are always changing Auto insurance rates are in a constant state of chang
Post a Comment