Friday, January 4

You Can Quote Me On That

("or don't; it's entirely up to you...")*

I was editing my Facebook profile a bit this morning, adding in some new stuff and taking out some old, and one of the sections I was adding to was my favourite quotes. Now, this may sound strange, but I really like my favourite quotes. I mean, duh, "favourite" and all that; but I mean, I also go so far as to make sure they are arranged in a quasi-linear fashion as far as topic goes. I'd like to think my quote section has a nice flow to it as you read through, with one thought or concept transitioning easily into the next. In the end, you have a bunch of seemingly random quotes, all chosen because they somehow represent me or my own thoughts.

So today, I decided I'd post this list of favourite quotes of mine, just because damn, they're good. And it's an easy post. ;)

---

"A good listener is not only popular everywhere, but after a while he gets to know something."
- Wilson Mizner

"I love to do the things the censors won't pass."
- Marilyn Monroe

“One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.”
– Emma to her father, in Jane Austin’s 'Emma'

"Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane."
- Philip K. Dick

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"Creative people who can't help but explore other mental territories are at greater risk, just as someone who climbs a mountain is more at risk than someone who just walks along a village lane."
- R. D. Laing

"We must ‘make the impossible possible,’ and common-sense individuals often can’t accomplish this. Breakthroughs can only be achieved by those who are a bit eccentric."
- Koki Ando, President of Nissin, in an interview about the company's future in the dried noodle market

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
- Douglas Adams

"Are you okay?"
"Of course not, I'm an artist."
-Joe's Apartment

"I've never been a millionaire but I just know I'd be darling at it."
- Dorothy Parker

"Quotation, n: The act of repeating erroneously the words of another."
- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

---

*while not something I have (yet?) quoted in my Facebook profile, the parenthesi-ed line is a quote from the Mr. Show episode, "Jeepers Creepers Semi-Star". We've been watching a lot of Mr. Show lately, though some of the earlier episodes leave me feeling like I had not imbibed enough of whatever substance for it to be actually funny. But that's the way sketch comedy can be in its early times. Nonetheless, damn, I loves me some Jack Black singing action.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Not only are quotes fascinating, but the quotes on people's profiles are fascinating. Some people leave quotes that are inspiring, others leave quotes that are funny. Mine are just random things me and my mates say. I quite like the fact that one of my friends just has as her favourite quotes snippets from my blog.

She is not my girlfriend. I haven't even seen her naked, but she wants my brain like a zombie.

Anonymous said...

Douglas Adams! \('-' )/

My latest favorite quote are Robert Anton Wilson's last living words online:

"Pardon my levity, I cant seem to take death seriously, it seems absurd."

Died 4 days later.

 

scientology.org

xenu.net