Friday, September 30

Happy National Geek Day*

Today, both Joss Whedon's Serenity and Neil Gaimen's Mirrormask are being released in theaters. I watched Whedon's Firefly series from the beginning, and was heartbroken when it was cancelled (and joyous when it was released on DVD, but saddened again when I finished those... the first time...) so I've been waiting for Serenity for what seems like forever. I'm very happy Whedon received an actual movie budget for a major picture production, and there is so much promise in it I'll probably burst as the movie starts. Makal and I are, of course, going tonight. I'm not a huge Gaimen fan (yet) but Makal is, so He's pretty excited about that release and we might try to catch it this weekend.

Recently jewels over at Lock and Ki posted a link to a TIME interview with both Whedon and Gaimen. It's a wonderful article, longer than I thought it would be, and the discussions between the two men (well, three, when the interviewer speaks up) are just so, well, geeky. It's fabulous. From genre stereotypes to their similar fanbase to the woes of movie production. If your a fan of either, or are planning to see either movie, it's a highly recommended read. *Gaimen called today "National Geek Day", considering the twin release of both movies and the cult icon status of both men. Today will definitely be a big day for their geek fans, and
technology-related business the nation over will have to shut down for all their employees cutting out to catch the new flick. ;)

1 comment:

Karl Elvis said...

baby, let me know how you like serenity. I think it was great.

And mirrormask - next on my to-see list with my 11-year-old-geek daughter.

 

scientology.org

xenu.net