I woke up slightly earlier than usual yesterday to head downstairs and see what the news channels were saying about the election. I knew it wouldn't be "over" yet, but I figured that it'd be almost done and that the winner would be pretty obvious. I recalled, as I headed down the stairs, that Bush was ahead the night before. I hoped 8 hours had changed that. Sadly, it had not. Yesterday was such a dissapointing day for so many Americans. But at the same time I find myself kind of (and that's a very conservative kind of) okay with it. He's already met all the other world leaders playing in this game, he's familiar with all his stupid policies, and we don't have to go through any sort of inter-office power struggle, consisting of conversations like "I'm President John Kerry and I want to do it!" "No President I'm Vice President John Edwards and I want to do it!" Or something. At least the whole same name thing won't be an issue. Still anything big happens and I'll be in Canada in a week flat.
Locals things didn't go as well either. A ballot measure to expand our medical marijuana system didn't go through. It would have increased the amount of medicine a patient can have at any one time, created legal dispenseries to obtain medicine, and allowed more doctors to prescribe it. I really wish this measure had gone through; it was a difference of about 10%. Another big measure was about gay marriage, not necessarily legalizing it but to ammend the constitution to state that legal marriage in Oregon is only that between "one man and one woman". The yes side had stupid campaigns like teachers complaining how hard it would be to handle these topics in the classroom, and saying that children are better off anywhere than in the home of a married gay couple (Yeah, because foster homes bring soooo much stability to an angsty youth's life! No, no love for the angsty youth! It might corrupt them into being gay, instead of the criminal training they'll get in foster homes!). In the end, the measure to ammend the constitution passed by only 901 votes. Liberal Oregon dissapointed me on the marijuana issue but at least we tried on this one.
Okay, so I need to go do some logo work for a slightly cranky pressed-for-time client. I don't like this particular small project in an artistic sense, and I don't like the fact that she's being very specific and demanding without giving me all the tools to complete the job. But I'm going to do it.
Thursday, November 4
The Sky is Not Falling (yet)
Posted by
M. Here
at
9:16 AM

No comments:
Post a Comment