Friday, December 2

Round the Web this Last Day

I've been playing around on the web a lot lately, surfing lots of random yet intelligent sites (as versus random unintelligent sites...) that teach me things and inform me of events. So I figure I'd better post some of them, because they can be highly addictive. :) Yes, I am evil and want everyone to get addicted to the internet.

Firefox 1.5
Right, everyone know's 1.5 is out, so why the hell am I mentioning it? Because I'm so smitten with the changes. Finally, the ability to force links that open in a new window to instead open in a new tab! And it was nice that a few of my extensions that didn't work with the update were revamped and rereleased within 24 hours. I totally <3 Firefox.

Netvibes
This is my all-addictions-in-one start page, powered by the wonder of AJAX. I've added links to all my frequent sites (whose addresses I don't care to memorize), it shows my Gmail inbox, a weather forecast, my Writely documents, and has a little notepad. Plus is shows at least the seven most recent posts from a plethora of feeds I choose (Slashdot, BoingBoing, Lifehacker, Tipmonkies, 43Folders, Gizmodo, and MAKE: Blog). Best of all, there seems to be no end to new content they introduce. Neato!

Pandora Radio
I realize I did just talk about this, but hot damn is it fun. My list of new artists to find more music by just keeps growing. My two favourite stations so far are the ones created by entering "Juno Reactor" and "Delerium".

Identify the Mystery Fish
I found this post via BoingBoing, wherein a postcard has been meticulously (and sometimes, haphazardly) reviewed and theorized over. Is it a catfish? A shark? A snake? A hoax? The one thing I do know is that it is certainly not an alligator. (Yes, some people suggested that. My question to them: have you ever even seen a freaking alligator? How could you think that?!) Read the comments and find your own conclusion.

My Bookmarks Toolbar problem
Okay, so this one probably isn't something anyone can or should get addicted to, but it's still a pressing issue for me. For some reason, I can't load any bookmarks into my Firefox bookmark toolbar. Even if there are links in the toolbar folder, they don't show up. If anyone has any words of advice that they can post n the Mozilla forums thread or as a comment here, I would really Really appreciate it. And if you fix my problem, I'll give ya a gold star! :D
Update: I got the problem fixed! I was adviced to run some diagnostics in Firefox's Safe Mode, and discovered that the toolbar did work then. In the end I used the "Reset toolbars and controls" option in the dialogue you get upon opening Safe Mode and restarted the program. Tadaa! Yay for easy fixes.

1 comment:

Rhys said...

I'm so impressed with the new firefox, especially the newly opened windows in new tabs. It recognises comments to open in new windows. Well chuffed!

 

scientology.org

xenu.net