What happens when you watch Pitch Black, followed by Pirates of the Carribean? If you're anything like me--which I sincerely hope you're not because that would be fucked up--you have dreams of sci-fi tanks.
I don't mean your classic army green tank. No, these tanks were badass. Imagine something the size of the Challenger 1 battle tanks (38ft long by 12ft wide) with a similar system of treads which were covered from the outside, so that the base of the vehicle looked more like a ship or hovercraft. The top, instead of being cased in armor, had a railing around the edge (again, like a ship) and tiered levels for different activities, complete with gun turrets et al. I like this concept of an open-air tank a lot more, because it makes manning the vehicle and engaging in combat a much more personal experience, which I think a lot of military vehicles lack.
Anyway, I was at this military base for some sort of interview or training to be allowed to work as a tank mechanic. Being a mechanic for these tanks was more like working on computers than cars, because of the high level of technology. As I was about to leave with some other people, someone came rushing into the room because there was some sort of issue with one of the larger tanks. I rushed back into the hold and saw people on top the machine, fiddling with stuff and not doing anything that would make the alert alarms stop. So I ran/jumped/climbed over to the other side of the tank, flicked open the control panel and started turning dials and flipping switches, all the while wondering why no one else was trying this method.
Obviously, my take-charge demeanor and knowledge of the tank's technology got me the job. At this point I've been awake a few hours so I can't recall all the details but I know I went on to do more with the tank and its crew. It was an odd dream, because I never consider myself to be a very mechanical person. But it was a very fun dream, with a lot of action and intense adrenaline-rushing situations. By the time I woke up, I was all excited to have been partaking in such awesomely fun technological activities--even if they were all a dream.

No comments:
Post a Comment