Friday, May 18

You Can't Say I'm Not Dedicated

The day is coming up on 12p, and I've spent the morning working. Sure, it may not seem like working. I've been browsing Craigslist, making runs on the usual social networking sites, things like that. But as a result of these things, I also sent out eight emails (at least) replying to casting calls and confirmed plans to meet with a photographer tomorrow (Saturday) for coffee. That's a big difference I've noticed in being a freelance model: the extensive amount of work it takes to find work.

I mean, of those eight emails, how many will I really be the right fit for? There's a few that I'm particularly hopeful about, such as the naughty Halloween costume modeling or the cannabis-culture website, but I have to be realistic that there's a good chance I won't be a match for any of them.

This differs from a normal, 9-5 workforce job in that with that type of job, it may be expected that you respond to eight or more "help wanted" ads but once you get a positive call back, you're set. That's your job, and you work it. You work it good. You work it for month after month, and you get paid continuously. With modeling, you send out eight responses, and even if you get a callback on a single one, that is still very short-term work, lasting maybe only a few hours. And thus the cycle starts again. Hours of searching, communicating, preparation, sometimes even transportation--HOURS, I tells ya!--and you end up working a job that's a minimum of two hours for $50/hour.

But at least you walk away with work to add to your portfolio. And I have a lot of room in mine.

Update, 1:30p: Got an email back from the cannabis folk. It sounds a little ambiguous, but I just need to call them and schedule some studio time. So, cool! I like cannabis, which is part of why I think I'm well suited for the job. ;) I'll keep you posted (of course).

No comments:

 

scientology.org

xenu.net