Wednesday, June 27

Wake Up Kids, It's Applied Psychology Time!

It may not make much sense on first viewing, but this picture is an excellent analogy for how my weekend went--yes, last weekend; I realize it's almost the weekend again. I actually took this picture a couple of weeks ago and forgot about it as it sat in my camera un-downloaded, only to rediscover it the other day after a very unexpected weekend.

Now, in this picture, you see several things that I love, or at least fondly enjoy. My "I Dream of Jeanie" mug (it reads "Go Ahead Master... Make a Wish!") is a staple in my daily routine, as it faithfully holds my chai tea, also shown (pre-cream). There's a spoon (what? I can love spoons! I mean, I enjoy the act of spooning, and I'm a big fan of "The Tick", so nyeh) and a banana, which is a tasty food for eating (I'm not into doing "other things" with foods, thanks*). As you can see, this particular banana has encountered some issues. Perfectly ripened, I went to start a tear at the top and thus fold the peel down into several strips, as usual with bananas. Chai tea and a banana, it's a meal I've enjoyed many times before and never had any problems with. Yet this morning, my usual routine didn't work, because instead of peeling, the banana decided to just... break. Not quite in half, obviously, but certainly not at the expected point.

Therein lies the analogy: something normal and routine, with full expectancy of turning out as usual, does something wholly unexpected and never before seen. It doesn't destroy you, it doesn't completely ruin your routine (the banana was still edible, of course), but it certainly makes you think. And that's what last weekend was like for me: people that I love and appreciate, all gathered into one place for a fairly normal activity, and one of them goes and does something unexpected. To continue the metaphor, nobody ever expects a banana to be veritably ripped in half, but when it is you can't help but give pause. Those of you further equipped with an analytical mind the likes of Freud can surely figure out more (just, uh, don't get too literal on that analysis).

As for me, I'm done talking about it; I've already given the full story to Members and that took me a few hours of typing to recount. Everyone is fine, breakfast was had--metaphorically, at least--and shall be had again. I'm drinking tea right now, even, out of that very mug! But I'm definitely done with the whole ordeal. I usually don't have a good excuse for being absent from PF, usually just apathy and blogger's block; this time, I think I have a good excuse. Sorry I didn't get a doctor's note on this one.

*On second thought, we can negotiate a price, if you like...

3 comments:

Rhys said...

When I saw that image, I'd be lying my first thought was that this was a post about circumcision :S

Unknown said...

I saw something along the lines of loss of manhood and not in the physical sense.

M. Here said...

You guys, I told you not to get *too* Freudian about it! Makal's manhood is fully intact--*fully*, Rhys. ;) Someone just had a brief medical emergency, but everything ended up okay, and all people who were present are accounted for and safe.

 

scientology.org

xenu.net