Regular readers will know I'm a huge fan of the Creative Commons movement, and of alternative methods creators use to get their goods to the public. So I got a little thrill this morning when I saw that Two Knotty Boys, the amazing rope bondage team, had gone to such lengths with their new YouTube video, "Rip Off Our Videos!"
It all started Saturday March 8th, when TKB found that YouTube had suspended their account with no explanation as to why. Here's an excerpt from the letter J.D. sent to YouTube regarding their suspension:
Given my attention to providing positive, educational, and compliant videos, I’m at a loss to understand why the suspension occurred. As irony would have it, one month ago I received an email invitation to the YouTube partner program (an offer I was seriously considering).
Adding to my dismay is the fact that I’ve been a consummate and enthusiastic supporter of YouTube and the YouTube viewer community. I not only post, but routinely view the videos of others and comment upon their content; in the process I’ve developed multiple YouTube friendships. With the suspension of my account, all those friendships have now been severed.
Monk, of TwistedMonk.com, posted in his blog about the situation, encouraging people to contact YouTube and voice their opinion on the company's actions. By Wednesday the duo posted on their MySpace that their YouTube account was back up, but was still missing 10 of the previously posted videos. And as luck would have it for TKB, a representative from YouTube said that they had never received the aforementioned letter regarding their account. Super.
Nonetheless, the TKB duo has done a remarkable job staying strong under unnecessary scrutiny and have kept a remarkably positive face. Their YouTube video stream is alive and kicking, and you can watch their videos here. They offer fairly extensive tutorials on specific knots and rope bondage methods, as well as many fun videos chronicling their public shows. And yeah, you can download any and all of them and keep them for yourself, burn them to a CD and give them to someone, whatever! How cool is that? I love progressive thinking.

No comments:
Post a Comment