Someone just informed me that today is The Worst Monday of the Year™. At first I thought he was just having a bad day, but then he explained that it is given that title due to Daylight Savings Time tacking an extra hour onto our yesterdays. I didn't really mind at the time (omg it's a pun!), but I think I mind today. At least, I think I think... my brain is a little sleep deprived, so I'm not entirely sure.
See, last night 11p rolled around and we were fine, alert and working on our separate projects. 12a showed up--which would normally have been 11p--and while we were still awake, we knew we'd better go to bed. I think we finally made it in there around 12:30a. Makal made note that I was in a silly mood and seemed especially awake, which made him ask me how long I'll usually be awake after he falls asleep. And it's true, I do tend to stay awake for at least 10 minutes after he falls asleep. It's not intentional, it's just that he often hits the pillow and is out.
Last night? No such luck for me. I'm not sure how long I was awake, though I estimated at least two hours. Two hours of tossing and turning whilst trying to get comfortable, trying to find the "just right" position to fall asleep in. (It can be tough when you don't identify as any sort of specific "back" or "side" sleeper.) So that means I was awake existing in a hazy shade of consciousness until about 2:30a.
Finally, I fell asleep! And woke myself up by having consciously fallen asleep! Damnit. I played that game for a while, and I think I finally managed to actually fall asleep around 4a. Don't ask me how I "know" it was 4 in the a.m., I just do. Precious sleep was finally upon me. Then Makal started to stir. And cough. And sit up. "Watcha doing?" I mumbled. "I've been awake for the past 5 minutes, so I think it's time to get up." "Umph."
Even though he would have been perfectly fine with me staying in bed for a bit longer, I knew that at that point, there was no way I was getting any more productive sleep. So I got up too, knowing that it would be more fun to spend time with Makal in the morning and sleep while he's at work than the other way around. And now it's nearly 11a, and I've actually managed to have a productive morning.
But yes TB, I think I'll agree with you on the whole Worst Monday of the Year™. Unless, of course, New Year's Eve happens to fall on a Sunday night and your work doesn't just give you the following Monday off, even knowing full well that you'll be plastered 'til approximately 3a. Then it's a tie.

No comments:
Post a Comment