Wednesday, August 24

Thanks for the TMI, Mom

The official move date for my mom to the new house is September 2, the Friday after next. We're spending today packing as many extraneous items as possible, because most of next week she'll be working and not have time to pack. Most of the stuff is hers and she's packing it herself, just as I will (eventually...) pack the stuff in my room. The only other room I'm responsible for is the den, with our eight 7 foot tall bookcases. Yeah, I'm packing the books. Easy enough; it's like an odd game of Tetris, trying to find just the right way to organize the books in-box so as to use the space most effectively.

It's kinda fun going through the books too, just because I'd forgotten about some of them and never knew others existed. Every once in a while I'll go out and ask my mom if a book is hers or mine, knowing it's hers but hoping she won't want it or will forget it's not mine. So far, that's not really working for me. She'll just tell me that if I'm not sure, pack it with hers because I could always get it later. There is one book, however, that upon seeing it I was sure it did not belong to me, nor would I be asking her if it was by chance mine. That book is, specifically, a first edition hardcover print of Open Marriage: A New Lifestyle for Couples. Umm, yeah.

Now, I'd seen this book on our shelves when I was younger, but took little heed as it sounded simply like a book on effective communication in marriages. And in my intuitive youthfulness I was right to a degree. Yet now I have a much greater understanding of just what the term "open marriage" means to modern-day society. Hey, yaknow, yay polyamory!

But still.(?!) I can't say that I really needed to know that about my mom.

Speaking of moving, I'm not going to be going with my mom to the new house anymore. The plans have been remixed here in recent weeks, and now it looks as if I'll be moving in with Makal to His new apartment soon. Yes, so, talk amongst yourselves...

Update: Apparently, my mom also has the complete set of The Diaries of Anais Nin, as well as The Story of O. Who knows what other famous-in-the-right-circles books she has that I simply don't recognize. Curiouser and curiouser...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My parents have that book. They also have "three in love".

M. Here said...

Doesn't surprise me, I'd kinda expect it from them. But *my* mom? Ach. It's weird. To each their own, I know. But still(!)...

Karl Elvis said...

Things you don't wanna know about mom - "Wow, I slept with every guy in this picture," she said, looking at a picture of my father and his frat buddies.

Um. Ok. Thanks for that, mother!

Rachel said...

I take great comfort in the fact that my parents led sheltered lives before they married young. I never found anything more alarming than "the joy of sex" and a bunch of penthouse magazines, no matter how hard I looked.

 

scientology.org

xenu.net