Tuesday, January 17

Relaxing at the Movies: Aeon Flux

I always enjoy going to see movies when I'm busy, because being in a movie theater forces you to sit back, relax, and get lost in that huge colourful screen. If the movie's good, your overworked mind can escape into a suspension of disbelief; if the movie sucks, you can laugh at just how bad it sucks (and that you paid money to see it). Either way, that's two hours you don't have to work, answer your phone, or check your email. Hence why seeing a movie in a theater is one of my favourite things to do when overworked and underplayed.

And while I wouldn't say I've been overworked as of late, we have been awfully busy, hosting dinner and a movie for friends or going out somewhere with family. It has been fun, and has made us all the more appreciative of the random few hours alone we come across. But when you're all busy like that, it can also make long expanses of quiet time seem, well, boring. Not like neither Makal or I don't have anything to do with our time; it's just that we want to be doing something fun, all the better if we can do something together. So when Makal said he was bored last night, I already had an idea of something to do.

He didn't know this (and won't until he reads this, haha hi honey! ;) but I'd had three bucks stashed away waiting for a night we had to ourselves and were in need of an outing. Every so often on just such a night, I'd hop online and see what movies were playing at the cheap theater ($1.50 a ticket!), rationing those $3 for a big movie we'd really enjoy. Last night when I glanced through the movies playing, I saw that Aeon Flux was there and I went oh, yeah, we gotta go see that!

We ended up leaving dinner covered on the stove, frantically making tuna sandwiches and rolling joints, both to enjoy on the car ride over. We got there with perfect timing, just when the movie was starting.* It was a really fun movie too; I have to say that I think the costuming was my favourite part. That, and the cyberpunk aspect of the technology and bioengineering. And Charlize Theron, I enjoyed that aspect of the movie as well. ;) Hey, I know a lot of you folk who saw the series were whining about how Aeon's outfits weren't revealing enough compared to the original, but Theron was still smokin' hot and I loved that they didn't try to pretend that she had huge boobs by stuffing all manner of boosters and padding and enhancers down that tight costume.** But man, those costumes; I loved the colours and lines of the clothing. Though I should say the same for the entire movie.

Of course, I'm now torrenting the animated series. I know it's a staple of the animated/comic subculture, but given my fairly sheltered childhood it's a wonder I saw the Heavy Metal movies when I did (9th grade; thank you cable TV!). Yay for finally quashing my ignorance of fantastic animation, albeit by supposedly illegal means...


*We may gripe about all the trailers and commercials precursing the "feature presentation", but somewhere out there is a person counting on those trailers to delay the start of the movie long enough for him/her to get there.

**I am very understanding of the multitude of sacrifices made in transitioning certain mediums of entertainment to movie or TV format—I'd rather see a stunning adaptation than a mediocre "it's just like the original!".

Tags: , , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

2 comments:

JeN said...

I saw the movie a few weeks ago and I thought it was pretty good. I haven't seen the animated series though. I thought the storyline was very interesting. Of course Charlize is hot!
: p

You have a movie theatre that is 1.50$ per ticket??? I am sooo jealous...

M. Here said...

Yeah, the cheap theater is the old theater at one of the malls; when they built a new, bigger theater they kept the old one. When a movie leaves the big theater, it's at the cheap one within a few weeks. Makes it easy to see a lot of movies, even though the theater isn't as quality as the big one.

On Wednesdays, all movies are only $1. I know, it's crazy. :)

 

scientology.org

xenu.net