Aaaah, the name game of the online world. We all play it and we all know we play it and that others play it with us. I have two businesses I maintain under my legal name and use a different one (or two) for all online dealings, especially sex-related ones (and nary the twain shall meet). Things have to be this way because America (and most the rest of the world, online or off) is not comfortable with the concept of sexuality as an every-day occurrence. They may go and frig themselves silly every other night while watching hardcore anime and eating sushi off the ass of the neighbor's wife, but heaven forbid it is discussed and that someone know this or--dear me--have similar tastes. That could lead to emotional bonding between people and an acceptance of oneself, and we can't have that now can we? So we play the name game.
This has been in my head since yesterday evening, as I waited for my crush to come over to chat and watch "Interview with the Vampire" (oh how I love taunting this girl!). I was, I admit, a little spacy and out of it, let alone giddy that I had some alone time with her. I was listening to music and watching the TV Guide channel, at first to see what was on tv. But I spaced out and got involved in the show that was playing in the top 3/5 of the screen: "Look Alike". They were making a woman into a semblance of Anna Nicole Smith, complete with bleach blonde hair. At some point they were discussing Anna's inspiration to go into modeling or whatnot, and I managed to learn something new. Anna Nicole, as many know, has aspired to model herself and her life after Marilyn Monroe, who she feels a connection with due to a few similarities: they both grew up poor and neither child knew their father. It was these facts that I hadn't known, and they did surprise me. Why is that, you ask? Well let's discuss.
My online moniker, the personality brought forth when I began camwhoring (for it is 100% me no matter the manner of packaging and label) is Merrick Monroe. No, I did not choose "Merrick" from John Merrick, "the Elephant Man". Really now, how is that sexy? It isn't, no. I came across Merrick via Anne Rice's book of the same name, in which the title character combines two book series sub-genres into one (I speak of the Mayfair Witches and, of course, the Vampire Chronicles). This suited not only my spiritual concepts but my tendency for the darker, more decadent aspects of life. And so Merrick was born and realized in pixelated nakedness. But it wasn't enough--it wasn't complete. I needed a last name. Monroe came to me because of the ease of pronunciation and because I am a fan of alliteration. But also because, well, I'm a delicious platinum blonde. Maybe it's a cheesy schtick but hey, we all gotta have some schtick to stay memorable. I think the name has a completeness to it, and as aforementioned, while it is not my "real" name it is completely me and at times suits me far more than my legal name (blame it on my astrological profile of Pisces with a strong leaning towards Scorpio).
And so when I learned that little tidbit about Anna Nicole Smith's connection to Marilyn Monroe, my jaw had to drop a little. That's my story, my past as well. And so I found the whole thing slightly amusing in that cosmic sense of fate and kismet. Or call it simple irony that at least three sexual creatures share such similar experiences--and hair. Surely there's enough of us out there to start some sort of club?
Tuesday, March 22
A Horse is a Horse is a Horse (of course)
Posted by
M. Here
at
9:26 AM
Labels: books, camwhoring, internet, life, media, merrick, modeling, society

No comments:
Post a Comment