I miss the early days of my blogging, and by that I mean seven years ago, when it wasn't about writing an article out of a single thought. I would just make posts--all hand coded, mind you, as Blogger was only a year old and I hadn't caught on to it yet--because I had a thought, an emotion, a small ripple of an event in the ocean of life, and just had to share it. Share it with whom though? Half of nobody read my blog; one girl I went to school with, some woman in her 40's who offered to host me when my original blog had to be taken down. I don't know why I felt so compelled to make those short-paragraph updates, or what has changed since that I don't make small posts anymore. Perhaps it's that I don't necessarily feel they are "real" content, that there needs to be an opening paragraph and then three more body paragraphs followed by a closing paragraph, handy-dandy essay format. But it's not true! I can make posts that are a single paragraph, and they are still worthwhile! Not everything needs to be perfectly formatted to professional standards (life certainly is not).
Also, I found out the other day that postage for a single letter went from 37¢ up to 39¢. What the hell? Why did nobody notify me? Now we have a sheet of dinky little 2¢ stamps, which means we should be well equipped when it goes up another 2¢ in the coming months. Seriously, the Post Office would have made more money off this deal if they had sent postcards notifying postal customers of that change instead of the usual "Cathy finds everything she needs to manage her hectic office life, at the Post Office!" crap (stupid Cathy). If only stamps still looked as cool as they did in the old days. Now I must recall what I might've mailed in the past year+ whilst not knowing about the rate increase.
Must... resist... urge to make pun... about my... 2¢...! Damn.
[/shatner]

4 comments:
I heard an ugly rumor: The 39 cent stamp is going up two more cents in May. Better buy the new forever stamp, eh? 41 cents, but good forever. They have to fund the "Cathy" cards somehow.
I'm resisting the urge to buy nothing but 2 cent stamps, but then after filling the front of an envelope with 20 stamps, I'd still be one cent short. Damn them! What a racket. ;)
I miss the early days of blogging too, they were all so simple, and you had to work to get visitors!
Yeah but Rhys, I *still* have to work to get visitors! I'm not all fancified-SEO'd-ProBlogger advised like you are. ;)
Post a Comment