So I got an email back last night from the publishing company I applied for work at, saying they'd have a project for me in the next two weeks. I was glad to hear back from them, as I don't necessarily have typesetting experience. But I reproduced their sample pages with precision, even finding the same fonts a lot of the time, so it's hard to say that I'm not qualified due to simple lack of experience. Plus I have teh web design skills, which was a "bonus" skillset for the position. So yeah, woohoo; the manager's going to get in touch with me soon regarding details. It'll be interesting to see what comes of it.
Yesterday Makal and I spent most of the day at my mom's house in the sweltering heat--needless to say we were surprised when we stepped outside to leave just after 8p and found that it was cooler outside than in. And to think we spent sooo many hours inside suffering. *_* Plus my time was spent working with and next to the honking pc that is her HP Pavillion 8100. And the main fan was out. !! That computer's always run hot, and to think it's been going in that hot hot house with only supplementary fans working... *sigh*. The only reason I'd opened the case up is because I'd noticed how horribly laggy the performance was; it may not be top hardware but the mouse shouldn't jump around when I'm trying to use Firefox. That's the main reason I was working on her computer: upgrading it from old software to new, better stuff. Upgraded from Windows ME (/cringe) to XP, from Internet Explorer to Firefox, from NetZero email to Gmail. ^_^ There was more to be done, but I was so freakin' hot and the updates being downloaded for Norton were going so freakin' slow (thank you weenie 36.8kbps connection!) that I just couldn't keep sitting around waiting. And to think that when she took her comp in to a professional tech store last year because of issues, they told her her motherboard was dying, and replaced that along with both CD-RW/CD-DVD drives. Did they think to recommend she upgrade from the suckiest operating system ever? Apparently not; somehow I doubt they even checked the fans. :P It was probably easier for them to perpetuate the misinformation that my downloading neat desktop backgrounds had brought tons of viruses and worms to the system. *grr*
We got home around 8:30p and pretty much launched straight into WoW, as I was quite exhausted after being in all that icky heat. Then someone asked if there was any word on the forums, and I remembered that I was suppose to call the guy around 8p. So I log off, grab a headset and give him a call. When he first answered the phone, I swear I could hear him burping--you know, that quiet, breathy sort, like when you need to burp but you don't want to be loud and crude about it. I said, "Hey, Guy, is it too late for me to be calling?" It was just after 9p, and he had said "call anytime after 8p", but I knew he had a little kid and it's always polite to ask. I was honestly surprised when he said that yes, it was a bit too late. !!! Honestly here Guy, wtf? I don't understand why he even needs me to be on the phone to fix this, why he can't just email me some task or ask me to give him pertinent information. Oy. So, another night. I'm going to try very very hard to remember tonight.
And in other news, our friend Dutch gets back from Japan today!!!1!!one!!11 His flight comes in at 12:30p, and Makal gets off work at 12p, which is calling it a bit close. Our friends Bigs is bussing over to Makal's work, as am I, and the three of us can drive from there. It might be cutting it a bit close, as there's a fair bit of distance between start and end, but we'll give it a shot. It would be sad if we miss him though. So with Dutch back in town, and Bigs down from Cville, I'm thinking our LAN activity will increase greatly. Plus neither Dutch nor I know how to play Starcraft, which Bigs and Makal both rawk at (Makal informed me recently that he used to enter competitions!) so we can all play that together (Bigs' house has a private network set up).
Anyhow, it's 10a now, and I have a feeling I should be leaving in an hour. Bah, why do I have to be a girl, complete with long hair that must be washed and, consequently dried--which seems to take forever? It's so time consuming to be a girl.
Wednesday, June 28
LJ: Hi ho, hi ho hi ho hi ho
Posted by
M. Here
at
9:09 AM

No comments:
Post a Comment