Sometimes it seems like the world out there is catering to my specific brain thoughts, as though this really is The Truman Show or some media-watcher conspiracy. Though I think if anyone is paranoid enough, they can come to the same conclusion: someone must be watching! Even if no one's peeping through that hole in your ceiling, there's still some remarkably coincidences. Or in some cases, perhaps it can simply be chalked up to a good understanding of human psychology.
The other night we channel surfed around and found Jurassic Park being shown on AMC's "Date Night". I've seen that movie many a time, but Makal had only seen it once, on opening night (lucky bastard). As we're watching it, the commercial breaks are spliced with the scripted appearance of an annoying "dude" (he's totally a dude!) and any number of attractive ladies whom he talks with then gives shallow comments on (Examples from three different girls: "She's too into math." "She's too intellectual." "She's a hottiesaurus!" /sigh) During one early section of the movie, the tyranasaurus rex is all up in their faces sniffing around and chasing them down. Makal and I start going on about how stinky that must be, smelling like rotting meat and decay. Then dude comes up and has a bit about bad breath with his breath-strips toting date. That's an understandable coincidence, given that the show was sponsored by said breath strips.
Last night, Makal and I got into some discussion about Shakespear and all the words he invented. This was after a long string of conversation regarding the validity of other words, and the differences between British and American English. Then this morning, I was browsing through iTune's Staff Picks for podcasts, and decided to give Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing a try. And on the very first episode I listen to, Episode #13 "If I Were You", she mentions Shakespear! At the 4:01 mark, she says, "of the 24,000 words used by shakespear, perhaps 1,700 were his own inventions." Ha! Coincidence, or podcasting media conspiracy? Yeah okay, somehow I doubt that too.
Wednesday, September 20
Get Out of My Head!
Posted by
M. Here
at
9:32 AM

No comments:
Post a Comment