Monday, October 2

Lack of Hot Water = Sadness

pot of boiling steaming waterYep, no hot water. Our hot water heater's on the fritz. It was fine Friday night. Then Saturday morning, I was cleaning the kitchen and as I scrubbed the counters, I noticed that the tap water wasn't getting hot very quickly, but I was done and on to the next task before I had time to think about it. Soon after, I went to shower. But the water wasn't getting warm. It wasn't cold, but it wasn't warm. Yet given that I needed to wash my hair, I stuck with it and kept as much of my body out of the chill-inducing stream as I could.

When I went down to the apartment office to grab a movie and see when the maintenance guy could come by, he was actually following right behind me. When I explained our problem, he said he was off now but could follow me back and take a look at it. Sadly and most unfortunately, that just wasn't going to work. There's a ton of boxes in that closet (though all a safe distance from the water heater), we have more pets than our rental agreement shows, and there was *ahem* drug paraphenelia sitting in the open. Shite for us. Especially because he said that the soonest he'd be available then is Tuesday. Arg!

While we can stand not taking a shower over three days, it is still not fun. And we had a guest over this weekend, which means that I made dinner. Layered enchilladas, specifically. So, three people, messy Mexican food, and an already full dishwasher, all spelled disaster for the kitchen. Nevermind that I've practically no motivation to clean and tidy up over the weekend (much preferring to snuggle and spend time with Makal). As of his leaving for work this morning, we've gone through all our plates (dinner and salad), three-quarters of our forks, and about half of our pots and pans. Most of our glasses too, I think. :P

The maintenance guy said there was probably a fuse or something in the water heater that was having issues, and sometimes the problem fixes itself but sometimes not. So if we still don't have hot water today, he'll come by tomorrow morning. And not having hot water today, means no dishwasher today, which combines to mean that I will spend a good several hours boiling water and washing dishes in the sink. Though I'm going to be sneaksy and load wet dishes into the dishwasher, as it is still capable of using hot air to dry things. Ingenius! Still.

Last Friday I did indeed manage to rearrange the office to be more along the lines of how Makal wanted the desks to be oriented. Part of this involved plugging my massive surge protector for my computer into a new wall; perhaps coincidentally, it's the same wall the water heater is on. I don't know how water heaters work, but I wonder if it isn't possible that my computer has been hogging the power away from the tank. Hopefully, I guess? So this morning, I plugged the cord back into the outlet it had been in. It's been about two hours now, so I'm hoping to see some improvement. If not, it's to the stove for me.

Jessica Alba as Max from Dark Angel boils water and takes a bathAs an amusing sidenote, boiling hot water in pots on the stovetop television show Dark Angel.always reminds me of the There was one episode (research tells me it's "Red", episode 10 season 1) where Max (played by Jessica Alba) was having a shite of a day and wanted to take a bath. Luckily, they had a large clawfoot tub and a massive amount of candles in their post-apocaliptic-chic apartment, but no water pipes connected to the tub. So she spent a lot of time boiling water on the stove using every pot and saucepan they had, then carrying each into the bathroom and filling the tub slowly but surely.

Logan: "Are you taking a bath?"
Max: "Damn straight, and it took me an hour to boil twenty pots of water to fill this tub. Now I'm going to enjoy it."
She got to enjoy her relaxing candle lit bath, and I got to enjoy thoughts of Jessica Alba naked in a clawfoot tub. Hmm, maybe the dishwashing task ahead won't be so bad... ;)

No comments:

 

scientology.org

xenu.net