I'm still sick, and I have no idea what quarter of the game we're in at this point. It could be third, it could be fourth... I really don't have a long attention span when it comes to sports anyway. I just know that I'm still sick--having replaced "congested" with "coughy"--and don't have enough energy to do much of anything. But what's new. ;)
Of course, I usually have enough energy to sit at my computer and do nothing. And when I rearranged the living room last week, I moved my computer to a warmer (for me) location near a column, and am now cozily sitting on two large floor pillows with one of those chair pillows against the column. It's quite nice, actually. :) Anyway, that's not my point. My point is that, when I have nothing specific to do on my computer, I usually end up doing one of two things: playing Bejewelled 2, and surfing. Luckily, my Bloglines subscriptions keep me updated on lots of new content, and I can follow links to my heart's content. Today, I found a great group/community project: The Freecycle Network.
The concept behind the network is simiple: if you have stuff you don't want--say, a box of VHS tapes, a toaster, or a bag of baby clothes--you make a post on your city's message board saying you have this stuff to give away. If someone is interested, they'll reply and you can arrange a time for them to pick up the item. But what I think is really nice about being a member of the Freecycle network is that you can also do the exact opposite. If you're in need of a toaster or baby clothes, you can post a request for the items and hopefully someone will respond. I've seen posts offering everything from beds to pet supplies to cases of soda, and people wanting vintage canning jars, cell phone chargers, and chicken wire. Theoretically, the possibilities on what is offered (or wanted) is endless! Of course, you are strongly encouraged to post offers and not just take advantage of the free stuff--think of it as Freecycle kharma.
Apparently I'm slow to jump on the band wagon, as the organization has been around since 2003. The Freecycle network was called "an internet phenomenon" by People magazine in 2004, and it topped the 2 million member mark in February of 2006. I don't know how I managed to miss it, if it was such a phenom, but I guess you just had to be in the right place. The network can easily be compared to the Craigslist "free" section, but somehow it seems nicer. With a focus on the more community-oriented aspect of exchanging free goods, you can feel more personally connected to the exchange. Obviously, I signed up with Freecycle Portland and have posted several times already (if only they'd be approved by the moderators and show up...)I found Freecycle via another new site I found today, Kitschy-Koo. The owner of the blog, Miss Amy, received a vintage suitcase via Freecycle, and uses it to store sweaters. This site appears to be fairly new (having just started last December) but already has a wide variety of topics. She's got a great description for the blog too:
A collection of kitschy thrifted treasures, crafty creations, miserly mom tips, a pinch of wisdom from women in business, and more of the stuff of a fabulous life as a Crafty Mom
She has a great way of writing and does an excellent job of integrating pictures, so of course this was instantly added to my Bloglines reads. :)
Friday, January 5
Get (and Give) Stuff for Free
Posted by
M. Here
at
12:48 PM
Labels: blogging, craigslist, free stuff, freecycle, sickness

No comments:
Post a Comment