Wednesday, January 10

No Rest for the Wicked

Makal said it best when he replied to this post with that phrase. Coming up on last weekend, we swore to ourselves that we'd try to keep it as low key as possible, what with my having been sick all week and both of us still tired from the holidays.

Instead of listening to our own advice, we ended up helping Aryn move to her new apartment. This ended up being an all day thing, from morning waffle to Thai dinner. But, Makal got to drive a truck that beeped when it was put in reverse, and that provided infinite amusement for him. ;) So, all was well. And though we weren't exactly exhausted from that day (I did get a couple of bruises though!) we were tired most of Sunday too. I can't even remember much of what we did on Sunday save wait around for people to show up online for the weekly D&D game (I'll have to go into that more at another time...).

Monday was a busy day for us too, partly because we weren't planning on us both being home. I had plans to run out to Lake Oswego and pick up my first offered goods found via Freecycle. And since Makal was going to be home, he came with me on the adventure. We eventually found ourselves at one of the most confusing intersections we've yet seen in the area. We went the wrong way several times before finally "choosing the right door" as it were, and getting the bag of loot. This stuff had been advertised as a "dress up bag" but the offerer had listed that there was a kimono in it. So, crap shot, it might be awesome it might not. Once we were in a place to dig through the stuff, we saw that the kimono wasn't so much that as it was a children's chinese-style jacket. But despite its original purpose, it actually fits me! So now I have a new shirt. ;D There was also a cute fabric witch's hat, some weird brown fur bags (for cosplaying or doing SCA maybe?), and ethnic ribbon/trim that we're keeping. The rest I will probably put in the clothing donation at the market across the street, as it is either of no use to us or won't fit me. ;)

After we left there, we wandered around Washington Square Mall for a bit, ate a little, and headed downtown to go to the movie theater (at this mall that I still don't know the name of). We got tickets for Children of Men, and continued the wandering. Eventually the alarm on Makal's phone sounded, and we stopped to get coffee before the movie. Then as we were about to enter the theater, we realized that they probably didn't allow outside drinks. So, I attempted to hide my white chocolate mocha and Makal's chai shake in my bag. The shake was fine--it was in a stiff plastic cup. But the warm paper cup my coffee was in couldn't stand the pressure (literally) and bent, popping off the plastic top and splashing coffee everywhere. I didn't realize that had happened until we were in the theater and about to find seats, but at that point my bag and pants (it's a low hanging shoulder bag) were soaked. I pulled out the slightly smooshed cup and dug around to see if anything had gotten wet. The notebook I had in there, our leather gloves, most stuff was fine. Except my camera. Which, in my haste to hide the drinks, I had apparently set my coffee directly on top of. Cue dramatic music and much grimacing of the face.

The movie, however, was excellent. I remember turning to Makal--must've been within the first half hour or so--and saying, "Wow, that escalated quickly...!" And that's what Children of Men does. It starts of casual and normal paced, things in the world are bad and everyone's all depresso, and then bam! Bombs and rifles and zen music! (That last one only really makes sense if you've seen the movie.) But overall it was a great movie, very profound and all that. Makal observed that it was fascist like V for Vendetta, but without the comic book-style antihero and with more military acts of war. Homeland Security indeed.

Not long out of the theater, as we were still in minor shock after the movie, I pulled out my thoroughly stickified camera to see how bad the damage was. I tried to take a few pics, and luckily that worked. Some of the buttons were sticky and wouldn't take input, and I can't see through the viewfinder because it's got dried coffee caked on it. But the pictures came out okay, so that's something. Armed with my leaking, drying camera, we wandered about Portland's downtown at night, waiting the 40 or so minutes before the bus home arrived. I have yet to open my camera to clean it out, and I'd like to say that I'll take pictures when I do (because it's always fun to see the innards of technology). Unfortunately, I only have one camera, so that's kind of impossible. ;) I could probably use Makal's phone cam though, just for shits'n'giggles. ;D

3 comments:

JeN said...

there are times where I wish we lived close to each other. I want more girls to share my Wii with.

ha ha ha sounds so perverted! ^_^

M. Here said...

It's only perverted if you're intending it in the "Wii Sex" video sense... ;)

True, it'd be cool to have more female nerd/gamer friends to hang out with. But I know you're just trying to spread the carpal tunnel love, really!

Oh damn, that's also kinda perverted sounding.

Makal said...

*reads, grins, nods* Carry on.

 

scientology.org

xenu.net