So, I just took a long, hot, soaky bath, and brainstormed a list of about six different themes I'd like to do as photosets for SuicideGirls. Most of them are ideas I've had for some time, but I just needed to take a moment and actually write them out, considering props and settings and whatnot. When I got out of the bath, I checked my email and found another response to my Craigslist ad seeking a photographer. Yet this reply was a little different. It wasn't bitter and catty like the xSG model/naysayer was, and it wasn't haughty like some of the men's replies that I've received. No, this was just from another photographer--female, not that it matters--who is herself going to be doing some photography work for SuicideGirls, and she had some very friendly advice for me...
I will be shooting for SG soon and it is in their contract that absolutely none of the images can be posted anywhere on the internet ever. they own all copyright outright. you should be clear about that before getting a photographer involved based on false pretense. Good luck!
Best,
R.S.O.
Now, the specific phrase in my CL ad that she is referencing is this:
This is a project you could add to your portfolio of work. Because of the SuicideGirls contract, the photographer is only allowed to publish a few photos from a set (which must contain the SG logo) but that is still new work to show your talents! The SG name can certainly carry some weight.I know I didn't get into legalities, but my ad was already four paragraphs long and it didn't seem necessary to go into copyright rules and contractual agreements just yet. In my replies to potential photographers, I have linked the publicly available FAQ on the SuicideGirls website so that they may read up on the regulations and make any decisions accordingly. That is to say, I've indeed done my research. So, this was my reply to R.S.O. ...
Hello R! Thank you for your advice. I have read the contract and related guidelines on the SuicideGirls site extensively, and have directed photographers interested in working with me thus. My mentioning use of my image from a SG shoot for the photographer's portfolio was based on the copyright guideline in section 6 of their FAQ (here), namely 6.35 "Can I use pictures from my photoset for my portfolio?" The response from SuicideGirls, as posted in the online FAQ, is as follows:Once your set is LIVE on the site you may use any non-nude photos from it in your portfolio, myspace, etc. They must contain the SG logo and copyright.As I understand it, my photographers may use any image of me from the photoset in which I am clothed (no nipples, etc.), and these images (as it does not state any specific limit to the number that may be used) MUST contain the SuicideGirls logo. This is within fair copyright use, as images used for portfolios will clearly be marked as owned by the SuicideGirls corporation, and cannot violate any 2257 laws due to SuicideGirls express disallowance of nude photos outside the SG site.
For an example of this in use, I would direct you to SuicideGirl model and photographer London. Her profile on the SuicideGirls site (here) links to her photography portfolio (here), and if you navigate into the "Fashion, Commercial, and Print" gallery, you will find a sub album of her photographic work with other SuicideGirls. She's reposted a single image from a variety of sets, none of which contain any visible nipples nor genitalia, but do have the standardized SuicideGirls logo. She's also reposted images of her own SuicideGirls sets on her MySpace page, also with the appropriate copyright rules.
Thank you for you concern, it is much appreciated. I've actually received a wealth of replies from both photographers and models with their concerns and suggestions/advice, and I'm amazed at the level of support people have exhibited to making sure this goes as smoothly as possible for me. I am excited about the project and have definitely done my research regarding the SuicideGirls rules and regulations, especially since their contractual agreements have undergone such scrutiny in the public eye in recent years. I wish you much luck with your work in SuicideGirls, and your career as a photographer.
Sincerely,
Merrick
And indeed, I am very appreciative of the amount of advice I have received from people, regarding anything from Makal's hesitation with my working with a male photographer to even the amount of time a photo shoot like this could take. I like it when people try to take care of others in the same industry, especially if those "others" are noobies. I also appreciate the value of good, self directed research. :) I hope my response to her isn't interpreted as being catty; I tried to project a very professional voice regarding her advice and my understanding of the SuicideGirls rules. Which is why I didn't include the closing line of, "You should be clear about these rules before a model gets you involved based on false pretense." I know, I can be snarky. But I try really hard not to be!
I love having a background in business regulations and national business competition. ~_^
Update, 5:00pm: I received a reply from RSO, and was very relieved to hear (er, read) that she wasn't horribly offended by my email. She basically said that she had seen the same information, but was basing her concerns off a contract she had to sign to work with the SG site. "No biggie I guess." as she put it. So, I've not yet made an enemy in the alt porn modeling industry, which makes me happy. I'll definitely be sitting down with photographers--before any camera is turned on--to read through and discuss printed contracts, guidelines, and personal comforts, to make sure we have the same interpretations. I'd hate to mislead someone or deny them the fruits of their labor (a.k.a. recognition) because of my stupidity.

2 comments:
Haha, good luck with it. I've had arguements with my work over copyright (largely because I am trying to build my portfolio of websites, and work are very protective of their work, if I do ever leave I will use work that I've done there as my portfolio), it is a legal minefield
If you're DESPERATE and can afford a trip to the UK, Han said she'd take a few photos ;)
Post a Comment