Wednesday, November 29

Linky Goodness

I have an urge to blog interesting content right now, but I can't necessarily think of anything that would take up a few paragraphs. So, it's random linky goodness time. ;)

snow outside our apartmentMonday, our first day back in town, it snowed. We'd been told by our/Makal's bus driver friend that sure, it snows in Portland, but it never really sticks. And at first it wasn't. But then the flurries got stronger, and it got colder. By mid-afternoon there was a nice coating (maybe 1-2 inches) on the ground. Woo, snow! I also love these pics of Trixie's dog playing in the snow; being not far north of us, they got the same chunk of weather. I'm also envious of Lili's view from her apartment.
Hotbox Designs
I found Colin Christian's sculptures, done in silicone and fiberglass, via Geisha Asobi Blog, and now I really want one. The piece pictured to the right is great because of the sparkly red--you know how I love sparkly red things--but it is totally just the tip of the iceberg as far as the nature of his work goes. My other favourites include the beautifully coloured Great Cthulu, dark and tasty Snackcake Cthulu, Callgirl of Cthulu (crazy detail on that!), and the tasty faun that is Madison Satana.

furoshikiYesterday I had no idea what furoshiki is or was, and today I'm only a little more knowledgable. When Makal linked this to me, he explained that it was a large cloth you could fold different ways to carry different things. My interpretation is that furoshiki is like when you're wrapping a present, and figured out you cut way to much wrapping paper, but don't want to recut it, so you just fold it interestingly. Take a gander at this folding chart, and if you're really curious, explore the Wikipedia article. He was right though, I do like folding things in interesting ways. I need more large squares of fabric!

On the entertainment front, the MPAA is continuing to be jerk-offs who are unaccepting of change in media and entertainment. They are currently lobbying for home theater regulations, something that could affect anyone with a 29" TV, stereo sound, and comfortable seating for two. (Who ever said that movie theater seating is comfortable, anyway?) My favourite quote from the article comes from the head of the MPAA, Dan Glickman: "Just because you buy a DVD to watch at home doesn't give you the right to invite friends over to watch it too." Too right, Dan. Another important snippet:

"The bill would require that any hardware manufactured in the future contain technology that tells the MPAA directly of what is being shown and specific details on the audience. The data would be gathered using various motion sensors and biometric technology."
Heaven forbid the music industry ever starts in on such a thing, or we'll see people being forced to get DJ licenses for their music library because 2+ people are monitored dancing. I wonder if this will effect Apple's codename iTV project.

In positive entertainment news, we have a YouTube video. It is a *fabulous* parody of Justin Timberlake's "Sexy Back"--a video that, oddly enough, my mom recommended to me. Compared to the original, GreyKid's version is not filled with vanity, hubris, or espionage. The lyrics are far more creative (as you'd expect in a song about Paxil), and the singer's voice is a lot more interesting, in my opinion. I present, "PaxilBack". :)

3 comments:

Makal said...

Hm, maybe I should just start blogging the interesting links I find, if so many of them end up here. ;)

PS. I love this validation word: kkekbtyt

M. Here said...

Yes you should, as it requires no intellectual thought on writing and content. Web logs were made to post links to places, dontchaknow. ;)

JeN said...

pfff you should donate your links to me for "stupid links of the day"!
well, if you ever find one (or several) you'd consider stupid, then please feel free to e-mail me with them. at times, I run low.

oh, since you appear to be familiar with Cthulhu then maybe you'd get a giggle out of this webcomic. It's so freakin' cute!
Hello Cthulhu

 

scientology.org

xenu.net