A few days ago, I made borscht for dinner. Makal had been commenting that he wanted borscht for a few days, and he finally broke down and had me make it. So I went to the store, bought beets and onion, and got to cooking. The end results were quite delicious, and when Makal was sampling the first ladel of it he was slurping up strips of beet and cabbage and grinning like he'd won the lottery. I guess he really does like borscht! ;)
There was one serving left at the end of the night, so we put that into one of the Ziploc soup/liquid containers I'd also bought that day. They're leak-resistant, but not proof, so as he transported it to work it needed to be kept upright. So, what to do? We had no small brown paper bags, no lunch box type carrying devices. Oh, I know. Do I have any large squares of fabric? :D
The actual square of fabric I could find was a large, colourful scarf Makal bought at a thrift store months ago to use as a pirate bandanna. To that purpose it is excellent, and very piraty. But could it be used for furoshiki? I set his square sandwich container down in the center, then the tall soup container, and his apple on top of that. And reviewing this chart I linked yesterday, I tied them up with the bin tsutsumi wrap. A little messy--the scarf was perhaps a bit thinner than furoshiki cloth probably should be, and a bit large for the size of the odd-sized packages. But there it was, a day's worth of foods wrapped up and ready to go. Neato!
As he was walking out the door, I told him it felt somehow blasphemous to use a pirate bandanna for a furoshiki wrap. This inevitably meant that somewhere in China, a pirate and ninja were fighting. "China?" he replied, "not Japan?" Nope, China.

No comments:
Post a Comment