Monday, June 6

Better Than a Barn Raising

Okay, I have half an hour before I have to leave to my mom's to do some yard work. Let's see how far I can get in this post about the show Saturday night, and if I'll still have time for a shower.

I arrived down at the bar around 8:15 even though none of my friends arrived til after 8:45. People I knew showed up in well-spaced intervals, allowing me ample time to talk and reconnect with one before the next arrived, eventually culminating in a large group discussion on nothing in particular. At one point a woman I'd never talked to much before asked of me the innevitable age question, and Sugar laughed because I'd just been saying that I hate having to tell people how old I am. "Stop asking me my age!" I laughed. (Note: I *never* ask people how old they are...) I answered this woman, honestly of course, and she gave that wide-eyed "You're how old?!" look I've come to know so well in recent months. Nobody suspects the answer and so it always totally blindsides them when they find out. It was amusing at first but now I feel guilty. This woman, however, quickly explained just why it was that my youth shocked her. "When I was 21, I was a mess! And, and you have everything so together! The way you handle things is so admirable." I have everything together? Really?! ;) Well we all know that I don't really have everthing together, but it's good to know that I can present myself in such a way. Not that it's all smoke and mirrors, but still. Anyway, we all had a lovely time talking, and I met Sugar's out-of-towner boyfriend who was extremely cute and fun.

The main band started setting up at nearly 10p, and upon looking around I saw how packed the place was. Luckily Star had come in earlier to do some decorating, and had moved back a bunch of the tables around the stage so that there would be room for dancing. Now, this is where things got interesting, and when the evening really started up. Star was the first one to dance — I swear that gal is the official party-starter; she has no inhibitions — and I think I joined in on the third or fourth song. I'd been drinking ciders all evening so while I wasn't weighted down with thick fermentation I still had a nice warm wobbly feeling. I had worn the perfect outfit for this bluegrass-y music: a tank top to keep cool and a big peasant skirt to swish and swirl around in. Before long my body was definitely feeling a drain of resources. But the crowd was swinging and the dance floor was packed and I wasn't releasing my spot in front of the stage, save to return to our nearby table for more cider.

The trick to dancing to bluegrass is to just put your everything into it. Doesn't matter if you can dance, or if you only know one type of dance. As long as you move with the music (and keep an eye out for what people around you are doing) you'll enjoy the music. This band had great energy that kept all us dancers alive on the floor, kicking up our heals as we moved around eachother. I danced with Star one-on-one several times, in both the close embrace of slower songs and the "hold on tight" style of an upbeat tempo swing. I didn't realized people were watching us that much until an intermission when folks came up to say how nice it was to see pretty women dancing up a storm to inspire everone else. Of course, there was a share of male admirers trying to buy us drinks, but we stuck with our cider and our friends. I cannot remember the last time I danced so energetically for so long; I absolutely loved it.

And that is all I can manage until I return home this evening. There is more, much more, because after the show we hung out with the band. Awesome guys. The story of our time with them is for later. :)

No comments:

 

scientology.org

xenu.net