I've always held a special place in my heart for the grungier sides of entertainment. I love music with that grainy record sound — even better if I can listen to an actual record. I've always enjoyed lower-budget or independent movies. I always see so much more realism in those and can connect with them on a much deeper level than a big corporate movie (and my favourite corporate movies are those based on books I love). I especially love fast-paced indie movies because the makers always do a really amazing, unique job of cutting between scenes and keeping the flow. Likewise, I love art that never looks quite refined, and much prefer it to come from real people to whom the art means something, as versus aging white men who farm their "art" out to others (*cough*Kinkade*cough*).
Tagging fascinates me and I can never pull my eyes away from an amazing piece of graffiti art. I recall Paris having some of the most intricate, colorful, big graffiti I've ever seen. So all these things combined, I was excited to hear about Bomb the System, a movie about the underground culture of taggers in New York (Quicktime trailer). This movie looks like it has all the elements for a good time for me, so why does it have to be a limited release? Looks like I'll have to wait for the DVD to be released. In the meantime I'm excited to see that another art form is getting some recognition, and hopefully the violence in the movie won't dissuade people from appreciating graffiti art (but I'm okay if it keeps young kids from picking up a spray can).
Thursday, June 9
Indie Movies and Tagging
Posted by
M. Here
at
10:03 AM

No comments:
Post a Comment