Labels. We've all known them, few of us have loved them. It starts early, mine in grade school with "teacher's pet". I progressed to "nerd" somewhere in middle school, and while I started high school a "prep" I quickly transitioned and emerged full-blown "goth" with standings in entrepreneurship and eccentric artiness. Although we never appreciate them in the beginning, most of us with some of the more derogatory labels ('though I never saw "nerd" or "weirdo" as a bad thing...) learn to live with and in the end, love and embrace our labels. I am Nerd, hear me type. Yet there is a downside to accepting a label, in that another could apply equally as well. In this instance, that alternative label would be "stoner". The two rarely meet, and when they do I tend to get a fair amount of rather creative work done. So what's a girl to do, when she has two labels by which to stereotype herself? mc chris has solved that dilemma in this post trying to describe the sort that attends his shows: stonerds. Simple, indeed, and to the point. Yet there's people responding in his comments with "I'm not a stonerd! I'm a geek fan!" or what-have-you. The man called you a stonerd people! He wasn't asking for your opinion! Bah, whatever. Those are the sorts of mc chris fans that have the lyrics to all songs, including Toothpick Spliffs memorized. The other mc chris fans — the stonerds — could never memorize those lyrics cuz we're too damn high to have that much memory available. Now if only we could work the word "kinky" into there...

No comments:
Post a Comment