Saturday, July 16

Colour Me Inked

I had a weird dream last night that even during, I thought I should turn this into a post. But upon waking, I realized that that was impossible, as the dream was on things I have no actual working knowledge of. It was a random combination of a variety of recent topics, and a none-too-logical one at that. I can, however, share one aspect.

Some portion of my dream was about tattoos. And luck be had, tattoos are something I do have working knowledge of, albeit somewhat limited by time and money (though not by desire). There was not enough content in my dream to transfer into any sort of readable entry (hell, I can't even remember what the tattoos were doing in my dream, just that they were there). But it did serve as a reminder to tell you about upcoming tattoo-related stuff.

Namely, TLC is beginning a new show called Miami Ink. It looks promising, but if it does really well, I'm expecting it to turn into the ink-equivillent of West Coast Choppers fandom. But in the least it should be providing lots of eye candy, as can be evidenced by the site's front page. What's better than one large scary tattooed man? Five large scary tattooed men, of course. And I know that should I watch it, I'll walk away from the television sighing, missing tattoos I have yet to get done. But I long ago ran out of tattoo documentaries to watch, so it's good to have something fresh.
Update: It's taken some time, but I've managed to watch a few of the artist videos you get from that front page. They're interesting, yeah, but I'd rather wait and watch the show. But the best part of these videos is the end, when they have the little "Miami Ink" logo up, red on black. Because during that, you can hear a needle buzzing in the background. Oh my god, not the needle buzzing. My mouth watered instantly, my eyes widened in anticipation. I realize that I can't ever go deaf, because then if I get another tattoo, I won't be able to hear the needle buzz, and it just won't be the same. That is, by far, one of the most beautiful sounds I have ever heard or will ever hear.

One fun thing to note about my knowledge of this upcoming show is that it was recommended to me by my mom. My mom, the one who tearfully condemned me years ago for getting my palm-sized tattoo, which she's never asked to see. She was even excited to tell me about the show. Really, she's coming along nicely. Again I think it's that she's started to accept that hey, I like tattoos (and stuff) and instead of not speaking to me, she's trying to learn why. My senior project in high school, the one I had to do in order to receive a meaningless extra piece of paper with my diploma, and which earned me an extra cord for my graduation gown (oh woohoo), was on tattoos. More specifically, Tattooing and Body Modification and Their Acceptance in Today's Body-Image Obsessed Society (really, that was the title of my project). At the time I wrote it, I really didn't think I'd ever be able to say that my mom was a tattoo and body mod advocate; it is such a relief to think that that could be changing. Now if only I could introduce her to the needle...

No comments:

 

scientology.org

xenu.net