Tuesday, July 12

"Our House... Is Always Good to the Last Drop"

I've had the version of "Our House" from the Folger's coffee commercial stuck in my head for two days now. But only the line above; it's the only one I know.

My mom found a house she's going to make an offer on. I'm happy for her, because it sounds like exactly what she's been looking for. But I feel like I'm in a very precarious position. Now, my mom loves me and has taken my current non-working lack of apartment situation into consideration, and will always have a place for me. But this house she's found, it's smaller than this one. Which wouldn't be a big deal, except really it's the bedrooms that are smaller. This bedroom I'm currently in is about 10x11 feet (I think). Not huge by any means, but I can't imagine it being smaller. I never even moved all my stuff in; most of it's still in the garage. And the prospect of moving to a new place after being here for about two months, then possibly/hopefully moving again to my own place within two months after that — yeah, not an appetizing outlook. And this new house is in the same area, but it's in a community at the end of a dead end street. And the nearest bus stop is, oh, about 30 minutes walking distance from the front door. Whereas at my old apartment, I could walk to the heart of downtown in thirty minutes. Plus she's already made the "it's one thing if it's a room mate staying out late, but another if it's your daughter" comment, and I really can't have a guilt-free swinging social life if I'm worried about my mom worrying about me. I didn't plan on staying here with my mom for long, and when she said she wanted to sell the house this year, I didn't realize she meant so soon.

This is all kind of troubling to me right now, but of course I'm not letting it get to me. I just wish the pieces of my life would fall into place already. But damnit, that doesn't look like it's going to happen. Which means I'll have to work at it. I wish there was such a thing as an angel investor for a person's life, so that I could instantly put into place all the things I know need to happen for my businesses to be what I know they should be could be would be. Damnitalltohell, why can't I just win the lottery?!

I had a job interview recently, and today I got a call back from the personnel manager. He actually told me that compared to other employees in that field, I was too qualified for the job and that they didn't feel it would be an appropriate position for me. WTF? I've never heard that before. He said my previous job sounded more appropriate for my particular skillset, and that if something in that area came up they were keeping my application on file. Well, that's fine and dandy, thanks for the compliment, but I was kinda wanting a job now, not six months down the road when one of your senior employees might leave. My previous job was a fluke; how many developed businesses actually need a Girl Friday? None that put ads in the Help Wanted section, at least. So where does that leave me? Apparently, with too much variety of skills and abilities and experience. This is really frustrating. I love my home town, I really do. But it's really not helping me be a succesful person. I'm on the verge of applying at a fast food place. I'd even apply at WalMart or somewhere similar, but I know they don't allow visible piercings and I'm not walking around with a giant bandage over my labret. Some people say that "kids these days" are too self involved, that we should understand and accept the value of a job — any job — because it's better than no job. Well yes, I can see the truth in that statement, but, but! ::whine::

It's easy to set out my goals for the next month, year, decade. It's harder to put them into action. I'm trapped in one of those vicious cycles of "To get A, you need B, but to get B you need C, and C needs A before anything else can happen". Arg, I'm buying more hair dye. This ash blonde is just not angsty enough right now.

1 comment:

JeN said...

Angsty hair colour for an angsty time... : )

 

scientology.org

xenu.net