I fear I may have committed quite a faux pas. Not as bad as it could have been, if it even happened, but still...
Thursday night the (ex)housemate called me. I was on the computer, reading various articles and writing emails, and so didn't feel like answering. I hit silent, it went to voicemail, and I didn't listen to his message til the next day. He'd asked if I wanted to go see a movie that night (Friday) because he knew I'd be hanging out with Star on Saturday (which ended up not happening) and that Friday night I was free. Now, at first I was a little pissed, because I know I'd told him when last I saw him that I was planning on spending Friday night at Star's, as always, so we could get ready together the next day. How could he forget that? But he forgets things I say to him constantly; it's nothing new, and the anger quickly passed.
Then I wondered what must be up if he was asking me to see a movie with him. I've been asking him to go to a movie for weeks, since before we moved into separate places again. Why now? I called him Friday while he was at work. He generally answers, but not this time. I left a voice message, one that was surely quite mumbly and stilted and confusing, given my state of mind as of late. But as soon as I hung up, I stopped and thought: wait, did I say the right name? Oh my gosh, please tell me I said the right name!
You see, I may have called him by the wrong name.
We're now an hour into Sunday, and I have yet to hear from him. He didn't call me back Friday night, and I called him Saturday afternoon and left another message. Maybe he's like me and just busy, just not in the mood to talk to me and is hitting the "Silence" button. But, what if I said the wrong name? Oh what he must be thinking if I did. Probably something to the effect of "who the fuck is ____?!" and trying to figure out if I attached the wrong name to the right message, or called the wrong number altogether. Either way, that's telling him more than I'd like. Not that he can hold any of my actions against me, but I'd feel real bad nonetheless. It's one thing if you leave a casual friend a random message and mix up a few details; that's easy to shrug off. It's another game entirely if you do so when talking to a person that you're casually fucking. Then you get into trouble, and not the good kind that can get you spanked.
Fuck I hope I didn't say the wrong name.
Update, 3:50p Sunday: Turns out it was all in my head. If I did call him the wrong name, he didn't notice or didn't mention it. He's been busy too, playing lots of shows at house parties and probably fucking lots of groupies too. He never tells me about house parties, probably because of the groupies. Well, good for him. It's what he wanted, after all.
Sunday, July 17
Oh, That's What's In A Name
Posted by
M. Here
at
12:45 AM

No comments:
Post a Comment