Monday, July 11

Reality is for Those with No Imagination

So, Oregon Country Fair 2005. I went over to my friends' Friday night so that we could all get ready together in the morning. We watched a fabulously funny movie ("A Dirty Shame") and a horrible movie ("The Seed of Chucky") and ate greasy cheeseburgers to counteract any hippie food we might encounter the next day. I woke up at 9:15 the next morning to get started on my makeup, which really took about two hours. I think I used about six different colours of eyeshadow (not all on my eyes), three colours of eyeliner (again, not just for eyes), one colour of body makeup, and three types of glitter. The end result, when paired with my full dark blue skirt, vinyl corset, horns and crown was that I looked like either a viking princess or a faerie warrior. At least, that's what other people said. I think I just looked wicked. >:) The bunch of us were all dressed up one way or another; I was the most elaborate and the least fancified person had simply added horns to their attire. I must say, we all felt pretty daft walking first to the bus stop, then around downtown before we caught the event shuttle. Yeah, got a few stares. But once we got out to the fairgrounds, all that feeling of "outsider"ness was allayed by all the other freaky looking people out there.

I wish I could explain with any justice the costumes we saw out there. There were wenches in frilly pirate gear on stilts. There were people dressed like creepy Voodoo warriors. There were elves, faeries, hippies, punks, goths, preppies, tourists — you name it and it was out there. There was a man naked save a hollow gourd thankfully tied over his bits. One of my favourites was a man dressed like a satyr, with wings that were actually elaborately twisted and tied whips, furry pants and shoes that made his feet look like hooves. He was tall to begin with, and with the hooves stood about 9'. He was hanging out in larger open areas where people were gathering and loitering, stalking around behind unsuspecting folk. At one point we heard a shriek and looked over to see that he'd kidnapped a young woman away from her group of friends and was carrying her off down the path, her screaming and laughing all the way 'til he finally set her down and gave her a hug in thanks (and apology). Damn, I thought, I wish he'd kidnap me!

We took most of our time just wandering the trails and trying to see every bit the fair had to offer. I can't say how many people and friends I ran in to; the group I was there with really had no idea I know so many people (well, people of the sort that go out to the OCF). I also saw a few unexpected faces, including one of my favourite people from highschool, as well as two guys from my graduating class. The latter was an interesting interaction, because not only was it my two classmates but the parents and girlfriend of one of them. (Now, this guy who was with his parents is someone I almost considered putting down as one of the people I wish I'd fucked, except that I don't think it ever really would have been possible.) What was interesting is that his parents are huge political figures in the city, both of them having run for a variety of top level offices and, this last political season, winning the positions. So there I am, high as a kite and wearing horns and a vinyl corset, talking about my business to two of the highest ranking political figures in town. Heh, these are good people to know when you're in the biz industry — not when your pupils are dilated.

One of the people I went with is the drummer from the (ex)housemate's band, which was a lot of fun because he and I have very similar, aaaah, "aesthetic" tastes. In other words, we were checking people out. He pointed out all the fine guys with awesome tattoos, and I pointed out all the half naked girlies with deliciously perky boobs painted with whimsicle and colourful designs. He and I had a lot of fun together and hung out more than we did with others from our group. I almost got him to try on a utilikilt but we knew that if he fell in love with one he couldn't really afford to buy it. (Oh, oooooh, the men in utilikilts! Profound thanks to whomever invented the utilikilt!) I didn't buy much out there. I had a great plate of salmon sushi, and some tasty strawberry lemonade. The only non-food item I bought was a bottle of Dr. Vortex's Original Mind Medicine. Sadly, this business doesn't have a website; but if you've seen what Dr. Vortex has to offer you know what I'm talking about. They're decorative bottles with a richly coloured liquid (some are green, some are red, mine is turqoise) filled with some sort of gold dust that when you shake the bottle and give the liquid movement, the gold creates these patterns and swirling designs that are utterly amazing. They're fun to just play with and watch the designs, can be used to sooth the mind and meditate on the shapes that appear, or to trip out on (their motto is "A Toy, A Tool, A Trip"). I really like the bottle I got and am having lots of fun swirling it about.

We left the grounds at about 8p to head back downtown. It was sad leaving, because it really is such an amazing environment and community out there. It was just really nice to feel like we fit in somewhere, anywhere. It really made me want to go to Burning Man this year. The drummer's up for it, so maybe if we plan a bit better this time we could make it happen. Either way, I was just glad that I was able to get out to the fair for even just a day; I had a perfect time. From downtown the drummer and I went back to the band apartment for the night, as I was really not in an appropriate state of mind to face my mom yet. In the morning (er, afternoon) the next day we went to Sheri's and gorged ourselves on hamburgers, fries, and shakes. Sure, I could live like a hippie for a bit, as long as I get my meat. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just so you know, the satyr wears a utilikilt when he's at home....

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~nigel/images/

 

scientology.org

xenu.net