Tuesday, May 10

Community Computer Peeves

The computer I work on is open to multiple users, but I am by far the main user of this grubby little machine, and have put a fair bit of love into it to make it bearable for myself. Yet there remains the other people who use it, specifically the internet and occasionally non-internet programs. And here, quite suddenly, I found myself able to point out several things that bug me about multiple people on one computer, and why they should be kept as very personal extensions of the body not to be shared with nigh but the closest friend. At least, I know I baby my PC and will do nothing short of ankle-biting to protect it (hey, I'm geeky like that).

Things that bug me about community computers:

Files:
-saving a text document with the file name as the first line of text
-saving documents with a file name that makes sense to individual, but doesn't describe the document
-saving a document to whichever folder it prompts (and never being able to find it)
-saving every little document to the desktop

The Internet:
-saving whatever websites to the Favorite folder without categorizing them in some way using folders
-saving favourites with whatever text automatically appears, even if it's 15 words long and doesn't contain the website name
-saving a random page (not the index) to Favorites
-continuously changing settings in Internet Explorer, not understanding the change, screwing the whole program up, and forgetting that one was told to use Firefox to begin with
-continuously changing settings in Firefox and causing other users great alarm as to what happened and why

Programs
-removing desktop shortcuts without consideration
-downloading whatever programs sound good without considering available space
-deleting whatever programs sound good without considering others' use
-switching programs (for example, switching PhotoShop with Illustrator) and not even considering asking your graphic designer

Physical Space
-organizing the items on a desk a particular way that benefits only the person who organized it
-constantly leaving half-full glasses of beverage around the computer, especially organic juices that get stanky
-bringing in overpaid tech guys to download free software and plug cords into the CPU, when there is an available underpaid tech girl right there
-rearranging office furniture to best suit the rearranger, with no consideration as to the other users or the space's chi (yes, I said chi)

All I can say to these peeves is that a)that's what folders are there for--to organize, b)that's why you can name a file anything you want--for clarity, and c)that's why underpaid tech girls are there to begin with, and you better damn well make use of her or she gets bored and cranky. These are the rules of my relationship with computers and I make great use of them. Oh yes, I am a computer zealot.

1 comment:

M. Here said...

While all of that sounds good and well to the technically-versed, it would not be well received in this particular environment and would most likely earn me a much lighter work schedule. I shall instead do what I can to fix the problems when they arise--and arise they shall. I am perhaps a bit sneaky with my habit of giving as little information as possible; such is my job security.

On a decorative level, I do feel that while justified, implementation of items such as chains and other metallic entities would be in stark contrast with the existing french ambiance and pink walls--or highly fetishistic. Which could be could, because my work garb would be stepped up a notch if I could bust out some vinyl!

 

scientology.org

xenu.net